Cultural Resource Technician – Seasonal Denver
Do you have a passion for Archaeology? Being active and outdoors in the beautiful Colorado wilderness? How about backpacking? How does combining these to solve intricate challenges through teamwork and technical expertise. Great? If so, ERO is for you. We are seeking a Cultural Resource Seasonal Technician.
At ERO, we have done exactly that for 40 years. Our diverse team of scientists, planners, and subject matter experts work together to craft innovative solutions within regulatory framework while balancing change in our region with natural and cultural resources protection. Did we mention ERO is DBE, MWBE, and SBE certified in Colorado?
We’re always looking for dynamic and engaged people to join our team! Bring your expertise, your ingenuity, and your vision. Let’s see the impact we can create, together.
This position is in our Denver office for the Fall 2022 through the first snow fall or inability to work at the site. The work site is within the Denver Metro/Front Range.
Cultural Resource Seasonal Technicians assist in the identification, evaluation, and treatment of cultural resources. Technicians are responsible for applying technical skills in archaeology to assist project managers and senior level staff with all tasks related to fieldwork and reporting in the cultural resources department. This is primarily a field position and is seasonal through the 2022 Fall Season as work is available. Applicants for this position are expected to be physically capable of performing fieldwork tasks associated with survey, testing, and excavation. Employment may be extended beyond the project for additional fieldwork opportunities if mutually agreeable.
Minimum Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in anthropology or related social science field
- Three months of applicable experience, with preference for Colorado-based experience
The project areas may be located at high elevations in rugged terrain. Applicants must be physically capable and possess the skills necessary to perform all aspects of fieldwork including strenuous hiking with a backpack in rugged terrain up to 10 miles a day, collecting digital data, completing standard resource forms, performing in-field artifact analysis, and taking photographs.
Performance Expectations and Responsibilities
Cultural Resource Seasonal Technicians will conduct the above tasks safely, independently, and efficiently under the immediate supervision of a crew chief, field director, or project manager. Technicians must be able to work variable hours, long days, early mornings, holidays, and weekends as the work dictates. Overtime is likely during periods of extensive fieldwork and will be compensated at time and a half.
Expected Field Duties
- Support the crew chief, field director, and project manager with all requested field tasks
- Follow the Safety Plan and guidelines
- Drive a company vehicle to the project area, sometimes in 4WD situations
- Collect digital and spatial data with tablets, digital cameras, and GPS units
- Complete digital or hard copy field forms (state site forms and artifact analysis forms)
- Hike and survey with a backpack in rugged terrain up to 10 miles a day
- Assist with testing, including excavating 10 or more shovel tests in a single day using hand tools and shovels, lifting 50-pound buckets, and conducting in-field sediment analysis and screening
- Record accurate detailed notes, digital photography, and mapping
Expected Post-Field Duties
If you are qualified for this position, please email a cover letter and resume describing your education and experience to firstname.lastname@example.org. PDF format is required. Applicants selected for interviews will be asked to provide at least three references.
The hourly wage range is $18.00-$24.00 commensurate with experience. Colorado residents with in-state experience are preferred.
ERO participates in e-verify and pre-employment background screening services. ERO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and covered veterans to apply. For more information about ERO, visit our website at www.eroresources.com.